Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bucket List Progress

I checked off a "Bucket List" item today. "Publish a book." Check. (For those who are interested, the title is "Lead With Your Customer" and launches in 3 weeks in Chicago at the ASTD international conference. Pre-sales are happening on Amazon.com. Check it out!)

The act of checking it off the list always seems to go so quickly...especially after all the time and effort that goes into actually DOING the activity. I guess that is true for anything big/important. In the end, it's mostly about the journey.

Here's the thing: This experience has me thinking about how we accomplish our life goals. I wrote up my first bucket list ("Must do") at age 12/13. I added a "Part Two" to it when I was about 18 and then again ("Part Three: Nice To Do") when I was in my early 20's.

I'm happy that I've completed about 80% of my combined lists, but now that I think about it, I'm NOT happy with how I've been slowing down in my list checking progress. It seems I used to accomplish 3-5 "wish list" goals a year. Now I'm lucky to do one a year. I'm now realizing the difference is that I used to finish a challenge, check it off, celebrate, then target the next one I wanted to experience - then start actively planning the next adventure. I've fallen down on that last part. Shame on me.

Lesson learned. No more settling. No more "getting too busy" with the distractions of life to live life (my pet peeve - which I am, ironically, guilty of right now.) Well, no more! I'm back on track! (Notice I didn't say that I was going to get back on track. If we really want to do something, we can always start right now. I've already selected my next challenge!) I'm halfway through planning my next tactical steps to bring it to fruition.

What about you? What have you been neglecting? Isn't it time to re-engage yourself and your dreams? You determine whether you life the life you desire or if you settle for living an average, passionless life. You only get one chance at this (yes, only one.) Take back your life today!

Think about it - but more importantly, do something about it...today!

No comments: